Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Climbing Vine Pendant
This year I'm challenged to create at least one piece of jewelry each week that pushes me try something new, or practice a technique that I am struggling with. The necklace I created for Week 1, "Climbing Vine" was conceived so that I could use the new tools that Santa brought and practice soldering posts. I also wanted to design something outside my usual style.
Since I use recycled materials wherever possible, my designs always start by pulling open all the supply drawers, to see what's on hand today. In the scrap box I found a few 1" copper squares, and the bead drawer offered up beautiful Czech crystal beads. I don't usually do floral designs, but I knew that's what I wanted to do with the treasures I found that day. Blossoms and leaves were sawn from 20ga sheet copper. I engraved the detail using a flex shaft and engraving bit, dapped the centers, and shaped them with pliers. Pieces are connected using soldered posts and holes, a very simple and effective connection. Cleaner than jump rings, these connections are hidden, and they allow each piece to move independently. They form a pretty curve when worn. I like this design a lot, and will be developing a Spring line around it.